Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Module 7-Videos



11.     –In the Frank Lloyd Wright video, it was discussed how Wright wanted to take people out of their normal home structure, and wanted to create homes that blended with the environment instead of destroying it. Wright “layered horizontals” to blend with the environment. Wright designed houses to be unique, and very out of the ordinary. He often made houses with large windows, various floors, and ceiling heights.
-In the Architecture: The Science of Design, the focus was on the evolving technology that is involved in creating different structures. The materials change, as well as the science. The process was not only a creative piece of artwork, but the many different methods, weather accommodations, such as earthquakes, wind, and snowstorms, and various other location situations, such as building a bridge over water, all of this involves science of how the structure is going to be built.

22.     These videos related to the readings because it was able to show examples from what is seen in the textbook. The textbook focused on the materials and methods for the structures that we see in the videos.  There are many different styles of architecture, and with these videos we were able to see many different building styles and materials and tangible examples. The contrast between houses and big buildings gave many different perspectives and aspects of what architecture is made up of.

33.     The films were both very informative. I enjoyed understanding why the houses that Wright designed always seemed squished down to me. I was able to learn more about why the houses look the way they do. The video showed me how architecture is such a work of art. This was very evident to me in the structure of the house, which was built right into the landscape and was said to look like “a tree.” The gift to develop this house is one that is not common as it was so unique and beautiful. I thought that the mention about the underground aspect of skyscrapers for support was very interesting.
I was in awe at the amount of science involved in architecture, and I think that the video did a great job at teaching about this.

44.     I chose these videos because they were much shorter than the others, and I have already spent endless hours on this course this week alone. In addition, I have heard of Wright, so I thought that I might be interested in hearing more about who he is. I have seen pictures of his houses before, and always thought they were kind of ugly! Because of this I wanted to learn more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment