Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Module 10 Video Reviews


Buddhism
1.     I chose this video because I found the life cycles to be crazy, and confusing when doing the reading for this week.
2.     This video talked about the beginning of Buddhism, as well as the use of architecture and art. Buddhism looks to destroy all of the desires that increase the ego and these obstacles must be overcome in order to reach enlightenment. People must rid themselves of all desires. The Great Stupa is a popular destination for pilgrimages and when they arrive, the followers are able to release material things.  Many temples were shown as well. Many include engravings that show stories.
3.     This video showed real examples of Buddhism architecture. In addition, it showed details about Buddhist practices as well as the history.
4.     This video gave me a greater idea of the beliefs of Buddhism. I also enjoyed seeing all of the monuments and sacred places. This visualization was easier to see than reading in the textbook.

The Great Wave
1.     I chose this video because I have a sticker of it on my computer from vacation and did not realize it was a famous symbol.
2.     Hokusais “Great Wave” is a major symbol in Japanese art. When it was created in the 19th century, it was sold for next to nothing, and now it is very iconic. The Japanese view the symbols as one of courage and strength but many others see the symbol to be violent and showing how powerful nature is. The wave was not ever meant to symbolize a tsunami. The wave is based on many mathematical theories as well as geometry. The rest of the video talks about how Hokusai spent the rest of his life working on many other styles.
3.     This video related to the reading about Japanese art and history, which was read in the textbook. It helps to give a better understanding of the visual images.
4.     This video helped me to understand not only a lot more about Japanese culture, but also about a symbol that I have so often seen in my daily life. It was interesting to hear all about the controversy, as I had no idea so much even existed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment